ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, DEWSALL
PCC of Dewsall with Callow
The Wormelow Hundred Benefice, Ross-on-Wye Deanery
Rector The Reverend Mark Johnson firstname.lastname@example.org 01981 540390
Church Warden David Howell email@example.com 01432 354858
Treasurer and Secretary Vicki Murray firstname.lastname@example.org 01432 617305
Everyone is welcome to join us at our beautiful and thriving church.
Holy Communion is held on the first Sunday of every month at 11 am.
This charming and simple church, set in an idyllic churchyard was consecrated in 1340. The local area has a long history as a holy site.
There are some questions as to the name Dewsall which means David’s Spring or Well. It appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as under the patronage of William Fitz Osborn, a relative of William the Conqueror who fought at the Battle of Hastings. It may be named after the welsh St. David, as it was originally in Archenfield, Wales, or after a local bishop of that name. It was only transferred from the Bishopric of Llandaff to the Diocese of Hereford in 1898.
There is evidence of Romano-British and medieval settlements and burial grounds nearby.
The thick and undulating South wall is probably of Saxon origin and the church has some 12th century elements, including the round arched south doorway. The porch, the font and the churchyard cross (recently restored and one of over 100 crosses across the county) are 14th century.
Some windows and doorways have been altered over the years and the whole was substantially restored in 1868 by the Hereford architect Frederick Kempson. In 1888 the stained glass window by A O Hemming was installed and dedicated to William Morris, his wife Dorothea and son Walter, tenant farmers of Dewsall Court. The chancel tiles date from 1893 and were made by Godwin and Hewitt of Hereford. There are some later additions and restorations, the most recent restoration being over the last few years.
There are several interesting monuments and an association of 1693 with the future Duke of Chandos who was born at Dewsall Court.
A leaflet available in the church gives more details of this history.
The 14th century churchyard cross
The restored Porch
The Fire Choir concert and picnic
The launch of our Face Book page