Minutes February 2018

      CALLOW & HAYWOOD GROUP PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting of Callow & Haywood Parish Council held at

 Callow Village Hall on Tuesday 6th February 2018

 

      Present:

              Cllr. Sophie Glover (Chair)

Cllr. David Malins

Cllr. Sandy Sharp

Cllr. Tony Priddle

 

      In attendance:

Parish Clerk; Alison Wright, Tree Warden; Ashley Elliott, Ward Cllr; Jon Johnson for part of the meeting (from 7.47pm) and seven members of the public

 

1.0

 

 

Apologies for absence

The Chair welcomed everyone to the Meeting. There were apologies received from Cllr Bryant.

Open Session

A local resident was in attendance who described how another vehicle had been through the frontage of his daughter’s property. A vehicle had previously been through the hedge leaving a number plate in it. A new fence had been put up and this one too had now been hit and a post smashed out. The driver was not injured but the fence was taken out. The issue of speed was mentioned and that the camber of the road can make cars veer towards the hedge line.

The issue of parking outside the Suzuki Garage was raised. Employees are not allowed to park inside the premises so do park on the road.

It was advised that two delivery lorries had received punctures on the Knocker Hill potholes.

A question was asked about the size of the speed limit signage and the Chair explained about the sign size in relation to the width of the road. Legal size limits do apply. Again people were saying that too much traffic was using the roadways through the villages and maybe “horse riding” awareness signs could be considered.

 

The Public Open Session closed at 7.15pm.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2.0

 

 

 

Declarations of Interest

There were declarations for Cllr Priddle and Cllr Sharp regarding any matters relating to the Southern Link Road planning application number 151314.

 

3.0 Co-option of Councillors

There were no new co-options. A vacancy still exists. There may be two possible candidates.

 

 

4.0 To Adopt Minutes of Meeting held on January 9th  2018

The minutes of the meeting were signed as a true and correct record of the Parish Council Meeting held on the 9th January 2018.

The Clerk had written to the Herefordshire Planning Department and to Taylor Wimpey regarding the proposal for houses at Grafton.

The condition of the Notice Board at St Peters had been raised with the Vicar by the Chair and an agreement had been reached that the Parish Council would refurbish the board in return for then being able to place notices in it. Cllr Bryant to carry out the repairs.

 

 

 

 

Cllr Bryant

5.0 To Receive Reports from:

Ward Councillor

Ward Cllr Jon Johnson gave an update and indicated that he hoped that the parish litter pick would once again be used to help keep the lanes clear of litter once more.

The Hereford Bypass Consultation was now open. (Questionnaire on Herefordshire Council web site or available in paper format from shops and libraries.)

Community Champion nominations were being sought.

He then explained that £5.1 million would be going towards repairing local roads. This was in the budget for 2018 and monies recovered from the Amey Contract had been allocated to the repair of Herefordshire roads with 1% of the increased council tax also earmarked for roads and a potential further £7 million in the pipeline along with further rural challenge funds coming up. He stated that the statutory services had to be prioritised.

On local issues there was an update that highlighted the recent accident data from December 18th to January 27th with five incidents being recorded, two with personal injury and damage plus a further three with damage only. The Ward Cllr would be discussing the recent issues with the MP in a private meeting that had been requested by two local residents.

Parish Councillors were invited to meet up with Richard Ball and Mairead Lane on the 15th February to discuss the Southern Link Road progress. The Ward Councillor advised that he had also followed up the action point regarding local communications and would be receiving a draft copy of the proposals imminently.

It was agreed that the March Parish Council Meeting would start at 6.30pm to allow time for Ward Cllr Johnson to update the meeting on the road issues findings.

PCSO

Bulletins had been circulated as received. It was suggested that Sgt. Freer be contacted regarding attendance at meetings. There was hardly ever a police presence at the meetings.

Locality Steward:

Bulletins had been circulated.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6.0

 

 

 Finance and Policies

6.1) To note the balance and current status of the current account and community projects account. The current account balance stood at £10576.52 and the Community Projects account at £218.29 as at the meeting date.

6.2) To resolve to accept payments as per listing and including salary for the Clerk £230.74 plus tax due £50.20 for February. The payments were resolved to be paid unanimously.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.0 Planning Matters

To consider any applications as detailed:

  • There was one application for discussion regarding comments:

174633 – Former Graftonbury Garden Hotel, Grafton Lane, Hereford, HR2 8BN

Proposed full application for the replacement of the dilapidated chalet with new two bedroomed chalet unit

 

The proposal in 174633 was discussed and the Parish Council formed the opinion that the application was technically seeking a change of use from a “hut” with no bedrooms to a residential dwelling. The final comment would be an objection to the proposal and would be confirmed following a site visit before submission.

 

  • To consider any issues or developments concerning Planning Application 151314 Southern Link Road and possible approach to the Ombudsman:

The Tree Warden advised that he had made a submission to the Ombudsman and that this would be going forward for processing. The conditions that had been raised by Natural England and the 2017 Botanical Report on Grafton Wood, which had allegedly missed data, were included in the representation.

 

  • To update regarding road traffic engineer consultancy report

Cllr Priddle had researched the use of a consultant and presented some forecast figures of the likely cost. The costs would include site visits and meetings plus expenses.

There was a discussion over the previous attempts to obtain grant funding and the differing responses to the availability of this that appeared to have been conveyed to both the Chair and to Cllr Priddle.

Cllr Priddle stated that the consultant would be a qualified engineer, with the relevant experience, who would deal with the issues of “rat runs” etc. and also provide professional representation in dealings, as may take place, with the planning authority.

The Chair explained that advise had been taken from HALC on the matter of utilising precept funds to pay the consultant and that this would not be permissible for authorisation, certainly not at the meeting currently being held. It was also asked as to what the remit of the consultant would be and pointed out that not everyone may share the same opinion on what may be required.

Cllr Priddle requested that the refusal of his motion to engage a consultant and, fund this from PC reserves, be recorded in the minutes and it was agreed that a representative from HALC would be invited to attend a future meeting to provide additional guidance on the situation.

 

  • Mushroom Farm – communications and planning

Following activity observance there had been confirmation received that there was no obvious new building on the site. Members of the public cannot see into a closed off compound.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8.0

 

 

Speeding in the Parish

This was discussed in items throughout the meeting including the open session and Ward Cllr update.

 

 

 

9.0 Village Matters

  • Tree Warden Report

The Tree Warden explained about some fallen trees that may have been “ring barked” by horses.

  • Callow Garages, parking and transporters

Recently reported transgressions had been advised. No further feedback at present.

  • Broadband issues

The Twyford Consortium was engaged in seeking a suitable contractor to lay the broadband cable.

  • Notice board at St. Peters, Bullinghope

This was covered under Agenda item 4.0

  • To discuss litter pick initiative for spring clear up

This would take place on the 17th March from 10.00 am to 1.00 pm. Posters would be published. Refreshments would follow the pick. The Clerk would reserve the picking sets with Balfour Beatty.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

10.0 Parish Roads and Footpaths

10.1) To note any defects to be reported to Balfour Beatty.

Details to be advised to the Clerk.

10.2) To put forward work for the Lengthsman

Routine maintenance tasks as per seasonal requirements. Also reported:

Dewsall Road – potholes

Grit bin at Dewsall Road still not replaced following damage. Road markings not yet refreshed.

Footpath HA10 – stile needs replacing at Knocker Hill location.

30/40 mph road sign outside “Forest View” needed turning to show correct limits each way. Cllr Sharp to turn this.

 

 

Footpath

Officer

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cllr Sharp

11.0 Information Sheet and Correspondence

11.1  To note Information and Correspondence Sheet

The contents of the information sheet were noted.

Cllrs Priddle and Bryant had attended the meeting to discuss the proposals for the bypass on 11/01/18. The meeting had “generated a lot of disbelief”. A process of exhibitions and consulting would be taking place until 20/03/18. Councillors were being encouraged to visit the exhibition before the March Meeting.

 

Web site: Cllr Malins can extend to the usage of the site if this is wished. Cllr Malins would place notices to direct people to the web site.

Church notices for St Peter’s would go on the web site.

 

11.2 To discuss ongoing situation regarding fly tipping at Haywood Lane

A meeting of Rail Track and Council representatives plus the local farmer would be held on site on 13th February. It looked as though progress was being made towards resolving the fencing issue and the existing litter would be cleared.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

All

 

 

Cllr

Malins

12.0 Matters to be raised on the Agenda of the next Meeting

All usual items and including update from the Ward Cllr on road issues. It was agreed that the meeting would start at 6.30pm in March to make time for the updates etc. It would also be requested that HALC attend to provide advice on road traffic consultancy.

 

 

 

 

13.0

 

 

 

Confirmation of date of next Meeting

The next Parish Council Meeting would be held on Tuesday 6th March 2018 from 6.30pm in the Callow Village Hall.

 

 

 

The meeting closed at 8.38pm

 

Signed: ……………………………………………Chair                       Date……………………..