Minutes September 2021

Callow & Haywood Group
Meeting on Tuesday 7th September 2021 from 7.00pm
At Callow Village Hall.

Present: Cllr. Neil Barrington (NB) (In the Chair), Cllr. Sandy Sharp (SS), Cllr. Jules Hardy (JH), Cllr Tony Priddle (TP). Cllr. Steve Williams (SW), Cllr Oliver Price (OP)

In attendance: Parish Clerk; Sophie Glover; 1 member of the public.

The meeting started at 7.01pm with 10 minutes for the public to speak
No comments were made.

Apologies for absence – Ward Cllr Christy Bolderson (CB)

2. Declarations of Interest
None declared.
3. Minutes:   To approve the Minutes as a true record of the Parish Council Meeting held in July 2021

Proposed: Chair            Seconded: SS

4. Actions from previous minutes either dealt with, or on the agenda other than:-
Contact with Network Rail; Fly tipping/fencing on Haywood Lane.

5. Matters arising between meetings: Anti Social behaviour at Warm Hearth.
The PC had been informed of problems at Warm Hearth. It was suggested that if noise pollution was an issue, then environmental health need to be involved, if it was an antisocial behavioural issue then the police should be informed. It was also suggested that the barn at the premises should have been taken down due to not having the correct planning permission, if this is agreed to be an issue then planning enforcement should be involved. The complainant will be notified of the PC’s comments.


6. To receive reports from:
Ward Councillor: Had circulated her report to cllrs.

PCSO: No report sent.

Locality Steward: Sends reports weekly by e mail.

7.1  Planning Matters – To increase capacity for Gas at the Old Mushroom Farm –

Comment: a meeting had been held with the land owner and a parishioner about this issue, the PC were told that this was a successful meeting.


S106 funding: the PC were asked if they might want S106 funding should it be available in the future.

Action: Clerk to write to say we would use it to address speeding on Grafton Lane

New House Farm, Grafton Lane; Update later on the agenda.

7.2  Planning decisions made:

8.    Finance and policies
8.1  To note bank balance in HSBC account at 05.08.21: £10,403.72
8.2  To note receipts this period – None
8.3  To resolve to accept payments – Clerks salary and expenses; HMRC PAYE; HALC website hosting and domain name for 2017 -19: £132.;

Proposed: SS Seconded: SW

It was resolved to make the above payments.     All were in favour.

Grant funding: Victim support. It was unanimously agreed not to support them at this time.

Action: Clerk to write to them.

9. Feedback from training or meetings attended.
9.1  Feed back from the Councillors site meeting at New House Farm:

The Chair thanked Gambers for the opportunity to look around the property. Others agreed that it had been a successful meeting and helpful to see the site .

9.2  Feedback from Parish Council Summit – the clerk had attended on the PC’s behalf. Much of the meeting had been about the problems that parish councils had had in pulling down s106 funds.

9.3  Feedback from any other meetings or training attended.

OP talked about his involvement with Gambers – any involvement was historical, but perhaps it should be declared. Henceforth he will step out of the room for discussions about the barn. It was moved that he should not vote, depending on the discussion.
Budget conversation: The chair attending a budget consultation last night, he found this illuminating.

Clerks conversation: The clerk had attended this HALC meeting where Participatory Budeting was mentioned. This is a suggestion that PC’s allocate an amount of funds, then go out to their parishoners to ask them for ideas on how to spend the money. Take the top 3 ideas and then have an open meeting to allow people to vote on them, finally the PC needs to ensure that the chosen idea is acted upon. This should help to make the parishoners realise that the PC works for them and does listen to their thoughts.

10  Parish Roads and Footpaths
10.1  To discuss speeding in the parish.

Taken at Item 4. TP had previously explained that the dropping of the SLR had meant that the associated agreement with Herefordshire Council to restrict traffic to local traffic only by using a TRO paid for by the SLR funding had also been dropped. So, at the previous meeting, he had suggested forming a working party to explore other ways of reducing traffic dangers in Haywood Lane. He explained that community reengagement through the Parish Plan and the Neighbourhood Plan had consistently identified Parishioners’ desire to reduce traffic in Haywood Lane. Furthermore, speeding had got worse over the last few years. The working group looking at this is Angie Gibbs, Merrill Crabtree-Livesey, Brian Vince and himself. He feels that the group is very proactive. They intend to use many techniques to reduce speed and enhance the Sustrans routes in accordance with HC’s aim to encourage active travel. They are also exploring funding opportunities. TP has met with John Harrington (Herefordshire Council Cabinet member for Infrastructure and Transport) and Simon Hobbs (County Accident investigation Engineer), both of whom are very supportive of the working groups efforts.
A Grafton Lane new resident, Mr Keenan, has written in to express his concerns about the speed of vehicles on his lane. TP explained that initially the Haywood Lane project should be pursued as the longstanding Parish objective, although if successful, Grafton Lane should probably be the next area to receive attention. In the meantime, he suggested that Mr Keenan and his neighbours report every incident of dangerous driving and directed him to the West Mercia Police “Operation Snap” as a method of reporting incidents. TP also explained that he was pursuing the state of an historic TRO to reduce the speed limit in Grafton Lane to 30 MPG.
SW thought that this approach was a little Haywood Lane centric, a view which was disagreed with by TP, who explained the long recorded history of public demand to improve traffic safety in Haywood Lane.

The Chair suggested a mail drop to inform parishioners what we were doing – TP explained that public consultation was a key element of what they were doing as a working group.

TROs on the HGV restriction on Haywood Lane and on the 30mph limit on Grafton Lane are still outstanding and the date for their completion will be circulated as soon as we have confirmation.

10.2  To note any defects to be reported to the locality steward.

Road markings to be redone at the top of Knockerhill and Haywood Lane.
Parish walk request for the lengthsman to meet SW and walk Grafton Lane.

10.3   Report from Footpaths officer .

JH has been walking Callow and Dewsall paths. She will present a report shortly.
TP and the working group

11. Defibrillator for the village – Update on requirement
We have received a letter back from the Village Hall saying that we can place a defib on the back of the hall. A further defib may be put up in Twyford = perhaps at Twyford Farm Barn though this location might be up for discussion. Grafton may also receive a defibrillator, the location there is to be agreed.
Next meeting it was suggested to bring a map and a financial proposal for a vote.
Action: OP and NB will look at sites.

12. Changing the name of the Parish council
The clerk explained that as a ‘group’ parish council we would be potentially charged for an election in all 5 of our parishes at a minimum cost of £1,000 per parish should elections be called. By removing the word ‘group’ from our title would reduce this expense to one election only.
It was proposed by the Chair to start the process of changing the name to Callow and Haywood Parish Council: This was approved, voted unanimously.

Action: Clerk to action.

13. Considering moving to a .gov email address.
The meeting was told that HALC had recommended moving to this sort of e mail as we would gain unlimited storage, look more professional when sending Parish emails and have a higher level of security in our e mails. The expected cost will be approximately £150 for the domain, with an additional £50 to Eyelid Productions for moving us across to the new service.
The Chair proposed siging up for a .gov e mail through HALC. This was approved, voted unanimously.
Action: Clerk to action.

14. Vulnerable and Isolated people
NB had nothing further to add to this.

15. Corona Virus
Nothing further to add to this.

16. Matters to be raised on the Agenda of the next Meeting:
Co-option of new Cllr;

17. Confirmation of date of next Parish Council Meeting:-
The next meetings will be on Tuesday October 5th at 7pm at Callow Village hall.

Website link: http://callowhaywoodpc.org.uk/

Meeting closed at 20.15

Signed: _____________________________ Date: _______________

Future meetings:-

Tuesday Oct 5th 7.00pm
Tuesday Nov 2nd 7.00pm
Tuesday Dec 7th 7.00pm